Donate Tickets




The mission of Trademark Licensing is to promote the University's image while protecting its trademark rights. UNLV works with licensed vendors to ensure that the public can properly identify officially licensed quality products and services bearing the word marks, logos, and symbols associated with the University to build awareness of UNLV and generate profit.

What qualifies as a UNLV Trademark? A trademark is any word, name, symbol or device, or any combination thereof, used to identify or distinguish the source of a good from those of others. UNLV owns and protects multiple trademarks including, without limitation, logos, mascot, slogans, nickname, letter(s), word(s) or combination of these that can be associated with the University.

The unauthorized use of the University's protected marks in a manner that is likely to lead to consumer confusion as to source, affiliation, sponsorship, endorsement, approval, etc. or likely to dilute the strength of the University's mark may violate the University's trademark rights and may give rise to various causes of action under federal and state law. Use of the University's protected marks without permission from the University or its authorized trademark licensing representative, Learfield Licensing Partners (LLP), may subject you to criminal and/or civil penalties.

How To Get Licensed?
Any vendor who wishes to obtain a license to produce UNLV merchandise must submit a license application. This application informs the University of how its marks will be used, what type of product the applicant makes, how the University is going to be represented, etc.

Applications can be obtained by clicking here.

If you are currently licensing with a Learfield Licensing Partner's school and would like to add UNLV, please click here for application.

If you have questions about Learfield Licensing Partners, contact:

Learfield Licensing Partners
8900 Keystone Crossing, Ste. 605
Indianapolis, IN 46240
Phone: (317) 669-0808
Fax: (317) 669-0810

What is Learfield Licensing Partners?
Learfield Licensing Partners (LLP) is the licensing representative for the University. LLP is responsible for administering the UNLV licensing program, including processing applications, collecting royalties, enforcing trademarks and pursuing new market opportunities for the University.

Who is licensed with the University?
The current licensee list for the University's merchandise can be found on this website or can be delivered by request. It is much easier to work with an established University licensee than to try and license a new product or idea. Both the University and LLP can provide you with information on the products produced by all licensees so you can match your needs with the right company.


Campus and Student Use

UNLV Licensing regulates the use of the university's name and all identifying marks, both on and off campus, to ensure the protection of the university's reputation and maintain high standards of use. Campus departments, student organizations, and external groups frequently purchase merchandise displaying university symbols, logos, and marks. Since each of these is an extension of the university's image, there are standards for these items. Only campus departments and student organizations that are officially recognized by or are part of the university are allowed to use UNLV logos, symbols and trademarks in conjunction with their names.

UNLV products can be made only by licensees who are under contract with Learfield Licensing Partners, the university's licensing agency. These licensees are familiar with the university's policies for use of the marks, have access to the latest artwork and color specifications, and can assist with designs that follow standards. They also carry appropriate liability insurance, submit graphics for approval, and pay royalties back to the university for use of the marks.

Ordering items from licensees registered with Learfield is required, but it is also to a department's or group's advantage to use these vendors. Officially licensed vendors are most familiar with how the marks should be used, can save areas time, money, and effort due to their expertise, and can help expedite approvals.

**It is important to note that many campus departments/groups would like to have their purchases qualify as non-royalty bearing against an internal contract type.

To qualify under the internal contract type: Sales to the University must be for internal use and not for resale to qualify as Internal Usage sales. In other words, these are sales where the licensee is invoicing - and receiving payment from - the University AND the products are not being re-sold.



Why have a licensing program?
A trademark licensing program gives the University control over its logos and marks, thus, ensuring the quality and consistency of all of the University's merchandise. It also enables the University to generate revenue from the sale of merchandise bearing its logos and marks. (Promotional items used by the University and its programs are not charged royalties.) The revenue is used to support and enhance many programs campus wide. Outside of the University, the trademark licensing program creates a cooperative and positive working relationship with the manufacturers and retailers who work with the University.

What qualifies as a trademark?
Any mark, logo, symbol, nickname, letter(s), word(s) or combination of these that can be associated with the University qualifies as a trademark and is the sole property of UNLV.

What products can be licensed?
By law, all products bearing a University trademark may only be produced by licensed manufacturers. This rule applies not only to merchandise sold commercially through wholesalers and retailers, but ALL distributors including university employees, students, alumni, fans, etc.

Who needs a license?
Anyone wishing to use the marks, logos and symbols of the University must obtain a license. No products will be licensed without the approval of the University through its representative, the Collegiate Licensing Company. This ensures all products associated with the University are of high quality and good taste and, denies approval of potentially hazardous items.

What if you do not get a license?
All products must be approved by the University's Trademark Licensing Office. Failure to obtain a license or approval from the University's Trademark Licensing Office is a violation of federal trademark laws and will be grounds for seizure of all non-approved merchandise bearing the University's marks. It can also result in jail time and numerous fines if convicted.

What is a royalty?
A royalty is a fee paid by a licensee for the commercial use of a trademark. Items intended to be sold externally (eg. T-shirts for retail sale) are subject to royalties. Items intended for internal use by UNLV employees (eg. uniforms) are exempt from royalties except if the internal use is the intended resale of the item for fund-raising. Internal sales must also met the following criteria: licensee is invoicing - and receiving payment from - the University AND the products are not being re- sold. Ex: If a student group is purchasing t-shirts and students pay for them; this falls under the standard license since University dollars are not being used.

Can an alumni or student group sell products using the University's marks as a fundraiser?
Before contacting manufacturers regarding new products, designs, or an idea for a fundraiser, be sure to check with the University Graphic Standards Office. The staff is able to identify local manufacturers to produce the items, saving everyone time and effort.

Can I use the University's name or logo on a Web site?
Every use of the University's trademarks requires permission from the University Graphic Standards Office. The World Wide Web has made it easy for alumni, fans and supporters to build Web pages with the University's name and logos, and the University appreciates this support. However, federal trademark laws require that the University control its name and marks; therefore, the University must be very selective in granting permission in all instances. For more information, contact the University's Graphic Standards Office.

How is licensed merchandise identified?
The "Officially Licensed Collegiate Products" hologram labe identifies merchandise that has passed the standards of quality set forth by the University and certifies that a portion of the purchase is returned to the University.

Which items are subject to royalties or right fees?
Before contacting local manufacturers regarding new products, designs, or an idea for a fundraiser, be sure to check with the University Trademark Licensing and Marketing Office. They will be able to identify local manufacturers to produce the items, saving everyone time and effort.

A product with a Trademark is generally subject to royalty or rights fees if:

  1. The product is for resale;
  2. The product promotes a specific event for which a fee is charged;
  3. The name, mark, or logo of a third party is used with the Trademark; or
  4. The product is being resold by members of the University community, including without limitation, registered student organizations and other affiliated organizations.

Activities or products that include the use of commercial entities names or logos on the licensed product will generally be assessed a higher royalty


All University licensed manufactures have agreed to abide by the Manufacturer's Code of Conduct which follows below.

The following conditions are considered to be minimum requirements for licensees that desire to use UNLV's name and trademarks on manufactured goods. Where local laws set higher standards, the higher standard shall be considered the minimum.

  • Health and Safety - All people have the right to work in a safe and healthy working environment.
  • Respect and Dignity - All people have a basic right to respect and dignity. No person shall be subject to any physical, sexual, psychological, or verbal harassment or abuse.
  • Discrimination - No person shall be subjected to discrimination on the basis of gender, race, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, nationality, political opinion, or social or ethnic origin.
  • Child Labor - Children may not be exploited. No person shall be employed at an age younger than 15 or younger than the age for completing compulsory education in the country of manufacture - whichever is higher.
  • Forced Labor - No University products may be manufactured using forced labor of any kind.
  • Unions - All employees have the right to independent association and collective bargaining.
  • Fair Wages and Benefits - Employers shall provide a fair living wage that meets employees' basic needs, and shall provide legally mandated benefits.
  • Hours of Work - Employees shall not be required to work more than 48 hours per week. Employees also are entitled to at least one day off in every seven-day period. Overtime shall not be considered mandatory and shall be compensated at a premium rate.


CLPA Label Program

Learfield Licensing requires all licensees to affix a CLP hangtag or label to each product. This helps us to guard against counterfeit merchandise and assure the consumers that the products they purchase are officially licensed. To learn more about the CLP program and how to purchase hangtags and labels, go to

The CLPA Authentication Program consists of three different products:

  1. Hangtag: Designed specifically for apparel.
  2. Standard Label: Should be used on all non-apparel products. This label may also be adhered to existing hangtags as well as apparel products and headwear.
  3. Small Label: May only be used on small gift and novelty items. Use of the small label requires special written permission from CLPA.

To order hangtags or labels: Contact OpSec Security at 717.293.4110 or


Karl Feak
Assistant A.D., Marketing & Fan Development
UNLV Athletics

Matt Dyste
Vice President, Western Region
UNLV Mountain West NCAA Learfield Born and Raised Coke Zero Findlay Toyota Chevron MGM Resorts