Rebels Sweep Grand Canyon|
Jan. 27, 2018
LAS VEGAS (UNLVRebels.com) - The UNLV men's and women's swimming and diving teams celebrated its Senior Day Saturday with a sweep Grand Canyon and a split with Wyoming in double-dual meet action from Jim Reitz Pool. The Rebel men won their meet over GCU 176-123, before dropping a narrow decision to the Cowboys by a 154-146 score. UNLV's women meanwhile topped Grand Canyon 188-111 and defeated Wyoming 181-171.
THE RUNDOWN - MEN:
* Brad Gonzales touched first in the 1000 free (9:19.05) and in the 500 free (4:30.91).
* Grant Norgan had a first place finish in the 200 free (1:38.73).
* Forrest Beesley placed first in the 100 free (45.31).
* Dylan Tarazona finished first in the 100 fly (48.65).
* Mark Theall, Dylan Tarazona, Richard Szilagyi, and Forrest Beesley came together to help win the 400 free relay (3:00.71).
THE RUNDOWN - WOMEN:
* Mykalla Fielding finished first on both the 1M and 3M.
* Ida Schutt finished first in the 1000 free (10:06.99), in the 200 free (1:50.33), and in the 500 free (5:01.85).
* Kate Afanasyeva touched first in the 100 back (55.36).
* Sofia Carnevale placed first in the 100 breast (1:03.05) as well as in the 200 breast (2:18.59).
* Ida Schutt, Lauren Smith, Kate Afanasyeva, and Sydney Schuette teamed up to claim the 400 free relay (3:29.82).
"Ida Schutt was unbelievable this weekend. Great swims all around for her, as she placed first in three events. Sofia Carnevale is also another one on the women's side that stands out, she goes into her breaststroke events and wins almost every weekend. Eva Kim had some great swims this meet, she's a freshman and it was her first time on the A relay for the 200 medley relay and she helped win it. On the men's side, Dylan Tarazona was the swimmer of this meet. He came out ready to fight, it was great to see that for his last home meet. Brad Gonzales is another swimmer who we got used to winning the 500 and 1000 free every meet.
For the men, it was great to see them race against some of the teams who were top in the WAC last year. It helps us get ready and more confident as the WAC Championship meet approaches. The boys had some great races today, including the 400 free relay at the end where we took first and second in the event.
For the women, they beat both teams today and it was good to see them swim some great swims. We're pretty confident going into MW Champs this year, things are looking pretty good."
- Head Coach Ben Loorz
NEXT FOR THE REBELS: The Rebel divers will compete at the Air Force Invite February 2-3. The next competition for the swimmers will be at the Mountain West Conference Women's Swimming & Diving Championships February 14-17 in San Antonio, Texas, while the Rebel men will be at the Western Athletic Conference Championship meet February 21-24 in Houston, Texas.