Oct. 21, 2017
LAS VEGAS (UNLVRebels.com) -
The UNLV men's and women's swimming and diving teams opened the 2017-18 season in successful fashion on Saturday afternoon thanks to a sweep of CSU Bakersfield in a dual meet at the Jim Reitz Pool. The men topped the Roadrunners by a 182-111 margin, while the women posted a 194-101 victory.
UNLV-CSU Bakersfield Meet Results
THE RUNDOWN - MEN:
* Brad Gonzalez took both distance events of the meet, thanks to times of 4:33.43 in the 500 and 9:11.85 in the 1000 free.
* Francois Van Wynesberghe swept the breast events, posting times of 56.62 in the 100 and 2:06.02 in the 200.
* Dylan Tarazona was another double-event winner, taking the 50 free in 20.63 and the 100 fly in 48.71.
* Grant Norgan was the 200 free winner in 1:39.85.
* Avi Cohen was the winner of the 200 fly in 1:50.49.
* Robert Morgan claimed the 1-meter diving with a score of 306.38.
* Or Sabatier finished first in the 100 free (45.79).
* Forrest Beesley finished with a win in the 200 back (1:50.12).
* UNLV won the 200 medley relay in 1:31.88, thanks to the quartet of Beesley, Van Wynsberghe, Tarazona and Sabatier.
* The 400 free relay team of Beesley, Sabatier, Rob Gilchrist and Tarazona would have won the race by eight seconds (3:02.75), but swam as an exhibition.
THE RUNDOWN - WOMEN:
* In her first meet as a Rebel, senior transfer Sara Delay was the day's top performance as she won three events, the 50 free (23.71), 100 free (51.63) and the 200 free (1:51.79).
* Katsiaryna Afanasyeva took first in the 100 back in 56.27, and added a win in the 100 fly (56.62).
* Sofia Carnevale swept the breast events, with times of 1:04.45 in the 100 and 2:21.05 in the 200.
* Mykalla Fielding claimed both diving events, with scores of 276.90 on the 1-meter and 335.33 on the 3-meter.
* Mayte Cano won the 1000 free in 10:23.93.
* Kyndal Phillips won the 200 back in 2:03.85.
* Ida Schutt finished first in the 500 free in 5:00.03.
* The 200 medley relay team of Phillips, Carneval, Afanasyeva and Caitlyn Schreiber won the day's first event (1:44.22).
* The Rebels also posted the fastest times of the day in both the 200 IM (Phillips in 2:07.18) and the 400 free relay (Carnevale, Afanasyeva, Lauren Smith, and Delay in 3:30.93), but both finishes were exhibitioned and did not earn points.
"Our team had phenomenal energy today, it was a great home opener. I think it was significant that we really performed as a team, with some outstanding leadership from our seniors, and also some really crucial wins from our newcomers as well. Bakersfield is a good squad, and they are coming off some key wins already this season. For us, this is our first meet, and I think it showed in that we were clearly hungry to start racing. Our back-end speed really showed today, as we dominated the last half of most races...a real testament to the early-season training we have been laying down."
- UNLV Head Coach Ben Loorz
NEXT FOR THE REBELS: UNLV will host the University of Toronto on Saturday, Oct. 28 at 6 pm at Jim Reitz Pool on the UNLV campus.