Oct. 28, 2017
LAS VEGAS (UNLVRebels.com) -
The UNLV men's and women's swimming and diving teams dropped an exhibition meet to the University of Toronto on Saturday evening in a dual meet at the Jim Reitz Pool. The men fell to the Blues with a final score of 147.5-103.5. The women meanwhile were handed a 174-84 setback.
THE RUNDOWN - MEN:
* Brad Gonzalez took both distance events of the meet, thanks to times of 4:33.86 in the 500 and 9:21.48 in the 1000 free.
* Francois Van Wynesberge and Serginni Marten tied for second in the 50 breast with a time of 26.30. Francois also placed second in the 200 breast (2:05.05).
* Dylan Tarazona took second in the 50 free with a time of 20.82.
* Grant Norgan placed second in the 200 free with a time of 1:39.42.
* Avi Cohen was the winner of the 200 fly in 1:50.49.
* Robert Morgan claimed both diving events, with scores of 301.95 on 1-meter and 308.8 on 3-meter.
* Or Sabatier finished third in the 50 back with a time of 24.72.
* Forrest Beesley finished second in the 200 back in 1:51.21.
* The Rebel men took second in the 400 medley relay (3:20.85) with the help of Forrest Beesley, Francois Van Wynsberge, Dylan Tarazona and Or Sabatier.
* The Rebels finished first in the 200 free relay (1:22.23). Making up that relay squad was Forrest Beesley, Or Sabatier, Avi Cohen and Dylan Tarazona.
THE RUNDOWN - WOMEN:
* Sara Delay took third in the 200 free (1:51.97) and third in the 100 free (52.23).
* Katsiaryna Afanasyeva took third in the 50 back with a time of 26.47 and second in the 50 fly (25.29).
* Lauren Smith finished second in the 500 free with a time of 4:59.44.
* Mykalla Fielding claimed both diving events, with scores of 291.1 on the 1-meter and 264.5 on the 3-meter.
* Tara Wise placed third in the 200 fly with a time of 2:09.30.
* Kyndal Phillips finished third in the 200 back with a time of 2:03.23 and second in the 200 IM with a time of 2:05.91.
* Ida Schutt touched the wall second in the 1000 free with a time of 10:16.14.
* The Rebels recorded a third place time in the 400 medley relay (3:50.63) off the quartet of Kyndal Phillips, Mackenzie Logan, Kate Afanasyeva, and Lauren Smith.
* The Rebels finished first in the 200 free relay with a time of 1:35.82, with the help of Sara Delay, Eva Kim, Sydney Schuette, and Caitlyn Schreiber.
" We ran into a very strong, suited-up, Toronto squad tonight. They were prepared, and very sharp... hats off to them. To watch world-record holder Kylie Masse drop a :51 100-yd. backstroke leading off their medley really put us on notice."
"We have a season plan, and tonight was just one piece of that. To have a 6:00 pm meet, and to race a lot of season-best times in dual-meet suits, that was our plan... we executed that well tonight, and I'm proud of the team for accomplishing that. It is not easy to do when you're losing, and yet we had the grit to get it done, for the most part."
- UNLV Head Coach Ben Loorz
NEXT FOR THE REBELS: UNLV will be on the road against Utah next Saturday, Nov. 4, at 10 am in Salt Lake City.