The following is a true/false quiz to test your knowledge of NCAA legislation as it relates to boosters and recruiting. How well do you know the rules?
1. It is permissible for an athletics representative to contact a prospect at any time during the recruiting process to discuss summer employment arrangements. True or False?
2. A representative of an institution's athletics interests may visit a prospect's educational institution to pick up a prospect's game film or transcripts, provided the representative does not have contact with the prospect. True or False?
3. A member institution's coach who stands outside a prospect's locker room after a prospect's contest and encounters the prospect upon the prospect's departure from the locker room has utilized a contact, regardless of the conversation that occurs. True or False?
4. Subsequent to a prospect's signing of the National Letter of Intent, a member institution may not make contact at the prospect's educational institution unless the contact occurs during a permissible contact period and does not exceed the one-visit-per-week limitation. True or False?
5. Subsequent to a prospect's signing of the National Letter of Intent, it is permissible for an institution to provide the prospect with practice apparel or equipment to prepare for next season. True or False?
6. A prospect visiting an institution as a member of a recognized group (e.g., band trip, academic society) unrelated to athletics recruitment may receive entertainment from the institution provided the institution's athletics department or representative of its athletics interests is not involved in any way with the arrangements for the visit, other than providing (in accordance with established policy) free admissions to an athletics event on a group basis. True or False?
7. Prior to a contest on the day or days of competition, a coach is not permitted to contact a prospect who is a participant in that competition; however, it is permissible to contact the parents of the prospect prior to the competition. True or False?
8. If coaches in different sports are recruiting two different prospects at the same high school, it would be permissible for one coach to visit the high school on Monday and the other coach to visit the high school on Wednesday during the same week, provided only one of the two prospects is contacted on each occasion. True or False?
9. If coaches in different sports are recruiting the same prospect, it would be permissible for one coach to visit the high school on Monday and the other coach to visit the high school on Wednesday during the same week. True or False?
10. A member institution may send a playbook to a prospect who has signed a National Letter of Intent. True or False?
11. Prior to a prospect signing a National Letter of Intent, a coach may not comment in any manner as to the likelihood of the prospect's signing with that institution. True or False?
12. Prior to signing a prospect to a National Letter of Intent, a coach may comment publicly only to the extent of confirming the institution's recruitment of the prospect. True or False?
13. A "senior prospective student-athlete" may attend a member institution's summer camp only if the prospect has signed a National Letter of Intent with that institution. True or False?
14. A member institution may not conduct an invitational basketball camp for prospects. True or False?
15. It is permissible for an institution to provide an autographed football to be auctioned off to raise money for a local high school. True or False?