Donate Tickets
Runnin' Rebs Nix New Mexico In Double OT 120-117

March 7, 2002

Final Stats

LAS VEGAS (AP) - Senior forward Lou Kelly scored a game and career-high 35 points to lead third-seeded UNLV past six-seeded New Mexico 120-117 in double overtime in a first-round Mountain West Conference Tournament game Thursday night.

Kelly scored six points in double overtime, including a dunk with 56 seconds left giving the Rebels a 115-109 advantage. Also for UNLV (19-9), Marcus Banks scored 26 points.

UNLV moved on to play second-seeded Utah in one of Friday's semifinals. Top-seeded Wyoming faces fifth-seeded San Diego State in the other semifinal.

For New Mexico (16-13), Ruben Douglas scored 32 points, while sophomore forward Patrick Dennehy had a career high 24 points and 13 rebounds.

In the first overtime, UNLV built a 102-98 lead with 3:27 remaining, but the Lobos rallied and cut the lead to 104-103 with 1:32 left. After neither team could score down the stretch, New Mexico had a chance to win with seven seconds left, but Banks stripped Douglas and with six seconds and was fouled. But after Banks hit one of two free throws, 105-103, the Lobos tied the game at the buzzer on a Senque Carey reverse layup drive down the left side, 105-105.

In double overtime, UNLV took control in the final minute. With 18 seconds left, UNLV'S Dalron Johnson, who played with four fouls since 14:10 left in regulation, hit one of two free throws with 18 seconds left, 118-114. New Mexico's Tim Lightfoot then hit a three-pointer with four seconds left, cutting it to 118-117. After Kelly hit two free throws with two seconds left, the Lobos' Cody Payne missed a wild three-point attempt from halfcourt as the game ended. At the end of regulation and UNLV leading 95-93, New Mexico's Ruben Douglas hit a three-pointer from the top of the key, giving the Lobos the lead 96-95 with 14 seconds left.



On the ensuing possession, UNLV's Banks was fouled on his drive to the hoop with eight seconds left and he converted one of two free throws. New Mexico did not get a final good look in regulation as Douglas lost control of the ball going up for a three-point shot at the buzzer.

Neither team could pull away in the second half of regulation. The Rebels built a 62-55 second-half lead with 16:53 to go, but the Lobos responded with a 7-0 run to tie it. With 14:59 remaining Later, UNLV built a 73-68 advantage before New Mexico took the lead at 77-76 with 8:44 left.

In the first half, the lead changed hands 11 times with five ties. The Rebels led for most of the first half, building their largest lead at 42-38. The Lobos later tied the game at 48-48. After a UNLV free throw from Banks with seven seconds left put UNLV up 49-48, New Mexico's Ruben Douglas hit a wild halfcourt three-point shot with two seconds left, giving the Lobos a 51-49 halftime lead.

UNLV Mountain West NCAA Learfield Born and Raised Coke Zero Findlay Toyota Chevron MGM Resorts