Runnin' Rebels Defeat Illinois At MGM To Improve To 8-2|
Dec. 10, 2017
LAS VEGAS (UNLVRebels.com) - Senior guard Jovan Mooring scored a season-high 27 points, while freshman forward Brandon McCoy added 22, as the UNLV men's basketball team (8-2) defeated Illinois, 89-82, for its second consecutive win at MGM Grand Garden Arena Saturday night.
UNLV senior guard Jordan Johnson and junior forward Shakur Juiston also scored in double figures, each with 10 points. McCoy pulled down a game-high-tying 10 rebounds to record his seventh double-double of the year.
The Fighting Illini (7-4) also had four players score in double figures, led by Mark Smith's 17 points.
TURNING POINT: After leading by 11 points early in the second half, Illinois took a three-point lead with about 10 minutes to play. UNLV outscored the Fighting Illini 33-23 the rest of the way.
RUNNIN' REBELS OF THE GAME: Mooring scored 14 of his points at the free-throw line, while McCoy was 9 of 11 from the field. McCoy also blocked a game-high three shots.
QUOTABLE: "It was a good game and a lot of fun to coach. I enjoyed it. It was good to see our guys bounce back and get connected with each other after they turned us over. I thought we played really well in the first half, and in the second half I thought we played well when we needed to, which is what it is all about in winning time. Another good win for the Rebels." - UNLV head coach Marvin Menzies.
STAT OF THE GAME: UNLV attempted a total of 48 free throws.
- UNLV has now made at least one 3-pointer in 1,016 straight games.
- After two UNLV free throws to open the second half, Illinois went on an 18-5 run to take a two point lead (54-52). The Runnin' Rebels went more than eight minutes before making a field goal in the second half.
- The Runnin' Rebels opened the game by making their first six shots and led 14-4 early on.
- UNLV made 52.0 percent of its shots from the field for the game, marking the eighth time this season it shot 50 percent or better.
- There were eight lead changes and seven ties during the course of the game.
NEXT FOR THE RUNNIN' REBELS: UNLV will be back in action on Saturday, Dec. 16 at Pacific. The Runnin' Rebels' next home game will be Wednesday, Dec. 20 vs. Mississippi Valley State at the Thomas & Mack Center. Tickets may be purchased at UNLVtickets.com, by calling 702-739-FANS (3267) or by visiting the Thomas & Mack Center Box Office.