Runnin' Rebels Finish Non-Conference Play 11-2|
Dec. 22, 2017
LAS VEGAS (UNLVRebels.com) - Junior forward Shakur Juiston scored a career-high 30 points and senior guard Jovan Mooring added 25 as the UNLV men's basketball team (11-2) finished its non-conference season with a 94-91 win over Northern Colorado at the Thomas & Mack Center Friday night.
Juiston recorded his seventh double-double of the season as he collected 12 rebounds, while freshman forward Brandon McCoy had his ninth of the year after totaling 10 points and 13 rebounds.
The victory was the fifth straight for UNLV and snapped a four-game win streak by the Bears (9-4). Northern Colorado was led by Jordan Davis' 28 points.
THE TURNING POINT: UNLV trailed by eight points with under five minutes to go, but rallied with a 15-2 run to go up 91-86 with 1:30 left. Mooring hit a big 3-pointer with just over two minutes remaining to give the Runnin' Rebels an 88-86 lead.
STAT OF THE GAME: There were seven lead changes and four ties throughout the game.
RUNNIN' REBELS OF THE GAME: Juiston was 13 of 18 from the field, while Mooring made 3 of 4 3-pointers and 8 of 9 free throws. Mooring also had a game-high four steals.
QUOTABLE: "It was a hard-fought battle by Northern Colorado. You have to take your hat off to that team. They are a gutsy group of kids and just kept coming. It was a battle and we feel fortunate to come out on the winning end. I felt like our guys took some adversity tonight and handled it okay. It wasn't pretty at times but we ended up getting back to our style of ball." - UNLV head coach Marvin Menzies.
- UNLV has now made at least one 3-pointer in 1,019 straight games.
- UNLV has shot 50 percent or better in 11 of its 13 games. The Runnin' Rebels shot 65.4 percent (17 of 26) in the first half and 54.0 percent (34 of 63) for the game.
- UNLV shot 62.5 percent on 3-pointers (5 of 8).
- UNLV led in fast-break points, 13-4.
- UNLV's largest lead of the game was nine points, late in the first half.
- UNLV used the same starting lineup for the 13th straight game.
- UNLV has matched last season's overall win total (11 victories).
NEXT FOR THE RUNNIN' REBELS: UNLV will open Mountain West play on Saturday, Dec. 30 vs. Boise State at 8 p.m. at the Thomas & Mack Center. There will be a recognition of the 1977 Final Four team that evening. Tickets may be purchased at UNLVtickets.com, by calling 702-739-FANS (3267) or by visiting the Thomas & Mack Center Box Office. The Family Fun Four Pack is available for the conference opener (tickets, hot dogs and sodas for only $56, a savings of $40).