Marshall To Miss Friday's Season Opener
Nov. 7, 2011
LAS VEGAS (UNLVRebels.com) - UNLV men's basketball junior guard Anthony Marshall has been suspended for the Runnin' Rebels' season opener this Friday vs. Grand Canyon at the Thomas & Mack Center because of a self-reported secondary violation of NCAA rules limiting summer competition.
Marshall participated in one game in a second league this summer making him ineligible for one regular-season UNLV game. The NCAA mandated that it be the first regular-season game. Division I players must limit their competition in the summer to one league. Marshall obtained certification to play in a league.
UNLV appealed to the NCAA for relief in this matter and was denied.
"It's disappointing to have to sit out a game," Marshall said. "It was an honest mistake, but I have to take responsibility for it. I apologize to my teammates, coaches and the fans."
Marshall paced the Runnin' Rebels in their 58-50 win over Washburn in Tuesday's exhibition game with a team-high 14 points and a game-high 11 rebounds. He averaged 9.7 points, 4.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 1.3 steals per game last year playing in all of UNLV's 33 contests.
Senior guard/forward Chace Stanback and sophomore forward Carlos Lopez will also be out of action on Friday, leaving first-year head coach Dave Rice with just seven scholarship players for the game against the Antelopes. Stanback was suspended for the first regular-season game in September and Lopez suffered a sprained ankle last week in practice. Sophomore guard Reggie Smith is not eligible to play until the completion of the fall semester because of NCAA transfer rules.
"We have great respect for the rules and take responsibility for this mistake," Rice said. "But I want to make it clear that Anthony is a great kid and this violation was not any sort of criminal or ethical transgression."
Both Marshall and Stanback will make their 2011-12 season debuts on Monday, Nov. 14, as UNLV hosts Nevada, Reno at the Thomas & Mack Center.