March 5, 2018
Results/Live Scoring | Media Guide | Season Statistics | Videos | @UNLVGolf | @SHCollegiate
LAS VEGAS (UNLVRebels.com) - The UNLV men’s golf team shot an opening-round 3-under-par 285 Monday and is in second place at the Southern Highlands Collegiate, which is being played at Southern Highlands Golf Club (par 72, 7,374 yards).
Florida is the team leader after the first 18 holes at 6-under 282. TCU is third at 1-under, while Pepperdine is fourth at even par. Individually, Washington's Noah Woolsey leads the field by a shot after a 5-under 67. Three players are at 4-under, tied for second.
Four Rebels are all among the top 23 individuals. UNLV was led by junior Harry Hall, who is tied for fifth after a 3-under 69.
STAT OF THE DAY: UNLV is one of only three teams to shoot under par during the first round.
REBEL OF THE DAY: Hall turned in UNLV's best performance of the day with a bogey-free round and three birdies.
COMPLETE REBEL SCORES:
• T5th – Harry Hall, junior (3-under 69)
• T23rd – Shintaro Ban, senior (even-par 72)
• T23rd – Jack Trent, freshman (even-par 72)
• T23rd – Garrick Higgo, freshman (even-par 72)
• T41st – Justin Kim, sophomore (2-over 74)
• T47th – Justin Chong*, sophomore (3-over 75)
• T70th – J.J. Gresco, freshman (7-over 79)
* Competing as an individual
TOP FIVE TEAMS:
1. Florida (6-under 282)
2. UNLV (3-under 285)
3. TCU (1-under 287)
4. Pepperdine (Even-par 288)
T5. Illinois, UCLA and Alabama (2-over 290)
There are a total of 15 teams and 81 individuals competing
• The Southern Highlands Collegiate annually attracts one of the top fields in college golf.
• This year's event includes four of the nation's top-10 ranked teams and nine of the top 30.
• There was a 30-minute frost delay before play began Monday morning.
• UNLV has won the team title at the Southern Highlands Collegiate in seven of the last 13 years.
• UNLV dominated its last tournament with a 12-shot win at the N.I.T. in Tucson, Ariz. Its team total was 50-under par. Ban won his second individual title of the season at that event.
• Last season, UNLV won the Mountain West Championship for the second straight year, captured an NCAA Regional title and advanced to the ‘Elite Eight’ at the NCAA Championship.
• Ban and Hall are both 2017 All-Mountain West Team honorees, and Ban earned honorable mention All-America. In addition, Ban was named an All-America Scholar.
• This year, Ban is a candidate to play in the Arnold Palmer Cup and is on the watch lists for the Hogan and Haskins Awards, which go to the nation's top collegiate golfer.
• UNLV has an active NCAA record of 29 consecutive regional appearances.
• This season marks the 31st at UNLV for Hall of Fame head coach Dwaine Knight.
NEXT FOR THE REBELS: Second-round play is scheduled to begin Tuesday at 9:30 a.m. The public is encouraged to attend the tournament and admission is free.
LIVE SCORING: Live scoring of the tournament is available at UNLVRebels.com, courtesy of Golfstat, or by clicking here.