March 10, 2018
Results | Media Guide | Season Statistics | Videos | @UNLVGolf
BOULDER CITY, Nev. (UNLVRebels.com) - The No. 25 UNLV men’s golf team shot a tournament-low 25-under 263 during Saturday's final round to win the team title at the Jackrabbit Invitational, which was played at Boulder Creek Golf Club (par 72, 7402 yards).
The Rebels, who trailed team-leading UNR by four shots after 36 holes Friday, ended up winning the event by five shots at 35-under 829. UCLA was second at 30-under, followed by UNR at 22-under.
Individually, UNLV senior Shintaro Ban finished one shot back of medalist Devon Bling from UCLA. Bling was 15-under 201 for the tournament after a final-round 7-under 65. Ban ended up at 14-under after a tournament-low 9-under 63 during the final round.
Two other Rebels finished in the top 10: freshman Jack Trent was third at 12-under after a final-round 7-under 65, while sophomore Justin Kim tied for sixth at 5-under. He was 6-under on Saturday.
STAT OF THE DAY: The team victory was the second of the spring for UNLV. It was also the second in a span of three tournaments. UNLV also won the team title at the National Invitational Tournament in Tucson, Arizona, in February.
REBEL OF THE DAY: Ban's tournament-low round of 9-under 63 on Saturday included eight birdies and an eagle with just one bogey.
COMPLETE REBEL SCORES:
• 2nd – Shintaro Ban, senior (67-72-63=202, -14)
• 3rd – Jack Trent, freshman (73-66-65=204, -12)
• T6th – Justin Kim, sophomore (73-72-66=211, -5)
• T14th – Harry Hall, junior (73-74-69=216, E)
• T21st – Garrick Higgo, freshman (70-73-75=218, +2)
• T27th – J.J. Gresco*, freshman (73-71-76=220, +4)
• T30th – Justin Chong*, sophomore (74-76-71=221, +5)
* Competing as an individual
TOP FIVE TEAMS:
1. UNLV (283-283-263=829, -35)
2. UCLA (283-281-270=834, -30)
3. UNR (288-274-280=842, -22)
4. UC Santa Barbara (285-289-283=857, -7)
5. Weber State (291-295-292=878, +14)
There were a total of 15 teams and 88 individuals competing.
• UNLV has started its spring season with finishes of tied for second, first, fourth and first. This was the Rebels' fourth event of the spring.
• UNLV players have won each of the last three Mountain West Men's Golfer of the Week awards: Ban (2), Hall (1).
• Last season, UNLV won the Mountain West Championship for the second straight year, captured an NCAA Regional title and advanced to the ‘Elite Eight’ at the NCAA Championship.
• Ban and Hall are both 2017 All-Mountain West Team honorees, and Ban earned honorable mention All-America. In addition, Ban was named an All-America Scholar.
• This year, Ban (U.S.) and Hall (international) are candidates to play in the Arnold Palmer Cup. Ban is on the watch lists for the Hogan and Haskins Awards, which go to the nation's top collegiate golfer.
• UNLV has an active NCAA record of 29 consecutive regional appearances.
• This season marks the 31st at UNLV for Hall of Fame head coach Dwaine Knight.
NEXT FOR THE REBELS: UNLV will be back in action on March 29 at The Goodwin in San Francisco.