April 14, 2018
Results/Live Scoring | Media Guide | Season Statistics | Videos | @UNLVGolf
TEMPE, Ariz. (UNLVRebels.com) - The No. 23 UNLV men’s golf team shot 18-under-par during the first two rounds (10-under 274, 8-under 276) of the ASU Thunderbird Invitational Saturday and is tied with host Arizona State for first place at the tournament, which is being played at Karsten Golf Course (par 71, 7,032 yards).
The Sun Devils and Rebels hold a three-shot lead over Oklahoma (15-under), while Baylor is fourth (11-under) and Arizona (6-under) rounds out the top five.
Individually, UNLV senior Shintaro Ban (69-64) is tied with Colorado's Yannik Paul (67-66) for the tournament lead at 9-under 133. The pair hold a one-shot lead over Oklahoma's Quade Cummins and Arizona's David Laskin. Rebel freshman Garrick Higgo is also among the top five as he is in fifth place at 7-under 135 (69-66).
STAT OF THE DAY: Less than half of the teams in the tournament are under par after 36 holes. UNLV is one of just seven squads at the tournament to be 1-under or better.
REBEL OF THE DAY: Ban fired a second-round 7-under 64, which ties for the lowest round of the tournament so far. He had nine birdies during the second round and 13 for the day.
COMPLETE REBEL SCORES:
• T1st – Shintaro Ban, senior (69-64=133, -9)
• 5th – Garrick Higgo, freshman (69-66=135, -7)
• T15th – Harry Hall, junior (68-72=140, -2)
• T28th – Justin Kim, sophomore (70-73=143, +1)
• T44th – Jack Trent, freshman (73-72=145, +3)
* Competing as an individual
TOP FIVE TEAMS:
T1. UNLV (276-274=550, -18)
T1. Arizona State (274-276=550, -18)
3. Oklahoma (282-271=553, -15)
4. Baylor (276-281=557, -11)
5. Arizona (278-284=562, -6)
There are a total of 17 teams and 85 individuals competing
• The Rebels are coming off The Goodwin, which was played in San Francisco at the end of March. UNLV placed fifth in that event, marking its fifth straight top-five performance as a team.
• UNLV was the runner-up at last year's Thunderbird Invitational. ASU captured the team title. Individually, Ban tied for second just one shot back of medalist Colin Morikawa from Cal.
• Last season, UNLV won the Mountain West Championship for the second straight year, captured an NCAA Regional title and advanced to the ‘Elite Eight’ at the NCAA Championship.
• Ban and Hall are both 2017 All-Mountain West Team honorees, and Ban earned honorable mention All-America. In addition, Ban was named an All-America Scholar.
• Ban and Hall will both compete in this year's Arnold Palmer Cup, while Ban has been named a semifinalist for the highest honor in college golf - The Ben Hogan Award.
• UNLV has an active NCAA record of 29 consecutive regional appearances.
• This season marks the 31st at UNLV for Hall of Fame head coach Dwaine Knight.
NEXT FOR THE REBELS: The final round of the ASU Thunderbird Invitational will be played on Sunday beginning at 7 a.m.
LIVE SCORING: Live scoring of the tournament is available at UNLVRebels.com, courtesy of Golfstat, or by clicking here.