May 14, 2018
Tournament Central Page | Results/Live Scoring | Media Guide | Season Statistics | Videos | @UNLVGolf
COLUMBUS, Ohio (UNLVRebels.com) - The No. 20 UNLV men’s golf team shot an opening-round 2-under-par 282 Monday and is one shot back at the 2018 NCAA Columbus Regional, which is being played at Ohio State University's Scarlet Course (par 71, 7,364 yards).
No. 1 Oklahoma State is the event's team leader at 3-under 281, followed by the Rebels in second, then No. 12 Illinois in third at even par. Northwestern is fourth at 8-over and Penn State rounds out the top five at 9-over.
All five Rebel individuals are among the top 18. Illinois' Michael Feagles holds the top individual spot at 3-under 68, with UNLV freshman Garrick Higgo one shot back in second at 2-under and junior Harry Hall in a five-way tie for third at 1-under.
STAT OF THE DAY: UNLV is one of only two schools to shoot under par on day one, which included a brief lightning delay.
REBEL OF THE DAY: Higgo's round Monday included five birdies and three bogeys.
COMPLETE REBEL SCORES:
• 2nd – Garrick Higgo, freshman (2-under 69)
• T3rd – Harry Hall, junior (1-under 70)
• T8th – Shintaro Ban, senior (even-par 71)
• T13th – Justin Kim, sophomore (1-over 72)
• T18th – Jack Trent, freshman (2-over 73)
TOP FIVE TEAMS:
1. Oklahoma State (3-under 281)
2. UNLV (2-under 282)
3. Illinois (even-par 284)
4. Northwestern (8-over 292)
5. Penn State (9-over 293)
There are a total of 13 teams and 75 individuals competing. The low five teams and the low individual not on those teams will advance to the NCAA Championship finals, which will be played May 25-30 at Karsten Creek Golf Club in Stillwater, Oklahoma.
• This year marks UNLV's 30th straight appearance in a NCAA Regional, which is the national record for most consecutive appearances.
• In 12 events this season, UNLV has recorded nine top-five finishes, including three team titles and two runner-up performances.
• UNLV is coming off its third straight Mountain West Conference title.
• Ban, the MW's Player of the Year, won his first career individual title at OSU's Scarlet Course in 2016. His four individual wins this season give him five for his career. He ranks tied for first in UNLV history for most wins in a season and is tied for third for career victories.
• UNLV captured an NCAA Regional title last year and advanced to the ‘Elite Eight’ at the NCAA Championship.
• Ban and Hall will both compete in this year's Arnold Palmer Cup, while Ban has been named a semifinalist for the highest honor in college golf - The Ben Hogan Award.
• This season marks the 31st at UNLV for Hall of Fame head coach Dwaine Knight.
NEXT FOR THE REBELS: UNLV will begin second-round play on Tuesday. Paired with Oklahoma State and Illinois, tee times are set from 7:30 a.m. - 8:14 a.m. ET.
LIVE SCORING: Live scoring is available off a link at UNLVRebels.com or by clicking here.