Oct. 10, 2017
Results | Videos | @UNLVGolf
VESTAVIA HILLS, Ala. (UNLVRebels.com) - UNLV senior Shintaro Ban shot a final-round-low 7-under-par 63 to tie for individual medalist honors Tuesday at the Jerry Pate National Intercollegiate, which was played at Old Overton Golf Club (par 70, 7,204 yards).
The tournament title is the second of Ban’s career as he also tied for first individually at the Robert Kepler Invitational in 2016.
Alabama won the Jerry Pate team title by six strokes (-19), marking the ninth time in the last 12 years that the Crimson Tide won as the host. The Rebels finished sixth as a team at 7-over.
STAT OF THE DAY: Ban’s 7-under 63 Tuesday tied for the tournament’s low round. Michigan’s Kyle Mueller also shot 63 during the second round Monday.
REBEL OF THE DAY: Ban, who finished at 10-under 200 for the tournament, had an eagle on No. 16, six birdies and one bogey during the final round. Arkansas’ Mason Overstreet also tied for first at 10-under.
COMPLETE REBEL SCORES:
• T1st – Shintaro Ban (69-68-63—200, -10)
• T21st – Jack Trent (67-69-77—213, +3)
• 34th – Harry Hall (69-74-73—216, +6)
• T45th – Justin Kim (72-74-73—219, +9)
• T55th – J.J. Gresco (76-74-76—226, +16)
TOP FIVE TEAMS:
1. Alabama (271-273-277—821, -19)
2. Auburn (282-278-267—827, -13)
3. Baylor (269-277-282—828, -12)
4. BYU (280-271-290—841, +1)
5. Arkansas (286-269-287—842, +2)
6. UNLV (277-285-285—847, +7)
• Ban joins former Rebels Jeremy Anderson (1998) and John Oda (2016) as a UNLV individual Jerry Page National Intercollegiate champion.
• This was UNLV’s fourth tournament of the fall season. The Rebels have finished fourth on two occasions (Gene Miranda Falcon Invitational in Colorado, William H. Tucker Intercollegiate in New Mexico).
• Last season, UNLV won the Mountain West Championship, captured an NCAA Regional title and advanced to the ‘Elite Eight’ at the NCAA Championship.
• UNLV has an active NCAA record of 29 consecutive regional appearances.
• This season marks the 31st at UNLV for Hall of Fame head coach Dwaine Knight.
NEXT FOR THE REBELS: UNLV will play in its final tournament of the fall at the United States Collegiate hosted by Georgia Tech, Friday-Sunday, Oct. 20-22.