Oct. 6, 2017
LAS VEGAS (UNLVRebels.com) -
||UNLV Rebels(5-6-0, 2-0-0)
||Spartan Soccer StadiumFINAL5-2
||San Jose State(2-8-1, 0-2-1)
|Musovski ‘5, Musovski ’10, Musovski ‘25, Partida '57, Pitt '81||Valdovinos ‘5, Mendoza ‘17|
@UNLVRebelSoccer | UNLV Box Score
UNLV senior forward Danny Musovski has continued his scoring burst since returning to the field, as the Las Vegas native posted his second hat trick in three games on Friday afternoon, scoring three goals in the first 25 minutes to pace the Rebels to a 5-2 WAC men's soccer road victory at San Jose State from Spartan Soccer Stadium.
With their third straight win and fourth in the last five games, the Rebels improved to 5-6 overall and are perfect in conference play at 2-0. SJSU, who had allowed just three total goals over its past three games, dropped to 2-8-1, 0-2-1 in the WAC.
THE TURNING POINT: The Spartans remained within a score of the Rebels until the 57th minute, when freshman Jesus Partida scored his first career goal, with the assist credited to Musovski. That put the Rebels ahead 4-2, and SJSU could only manage one shot on goal the rest of the way.
REBEL OF THE GAME: Musovski notched his second hat trick of the season, and both came by halftime. He scored the first goal in the 5th minute off a penalty kick, and added goals in the 10th minute and the 25th minute for the eventual game-winner. He finished with five total shots, four on goal.
STAT OF THE GAME: UNLV was credited with two shots in the second half, and both resulted in goals. The Spartans were also held to just two shots in the first half, and both finished in goals as well for the home team.
"It was great to come out here to San Jose and win with all that's happened this week. Everyone on the team was touched by the events on Sunday, and they were proud today to be UNLV athletes, representing the city of Las Vegas."
Overall thoughts on the game -
"I'm disappointed we give up two goals, but happy overall with the win. Every point counts now in the conference race, so to get three points on the road is always big." It was great to see Jesus get his first goal, his family was here to see him play, and we were able to get Marquis (Pitt) involved in the scoring as well. And obviously Danny played another outstanding game as we've come to expect from him. "
- UNLV Head Coach Rich Ryerson
* Danny Musovski became the fourth Rebel to ever post two hat tricks in the same season. David Cohen was the first in 1981, followed by Gavin Spaulding in 1985, while Doug Borgel recorded three hat tricks in the 1989 season.
* Musovski finished the day with seven points to move past Spaulding into fourth place on the career scoring charts at UNLV with 103.
* UNLV has won its past three games by a 13-4 margin, and has scored 16 total goals in its last five games, after scoring just six to start the season.
* The 13 goals over the past three games is the most in a three-game span since UNLV scored 14 between near the end of the 1989 season.
* The Rebels' fifth goal in the game came from senior Marquis Pitt, his second of the year, off an assist by Marco Gonzalez.
* Assisting Musovski's second and third goals were Timo Mehlich and Memo Diaz.
NEXT FOR THE REBELS: The Rebels stay in the Golden State for a Sunday match at CSU Bakersfield at 1 pm. The game will be live streamed through the WAC Digital Network, available through a link on UNLVRebels.com.