Donate Tickets
Shootout Ends Rebels' Season

UNLV finished the season with a 7-10-2 record.

Nov. 14, 2013

Box Score

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. ( - The UNLV men's soccer team narrowly escaped elimination at the end of regulation, but came up just short in a penalty kick shootout, as San Jose State advanced to the semifinals of the 2013 WAC Tournament after winning the shootout by a 9-8 score. The game officially ended in a 2-2 double-overtime tie, but the Rebels had two of their shots stopped in the shootout, while Israel Ayala sent home the Spartans' 10th attempt.

UNLV (7-10-2) dominated the flow of the play for the majority of the game, especially the second half and both overtime periods. However, that did not result into enough goals, and the Rebels had to play catch up twice, starting right from the beginning after Rory Knibbs put SJSU (3-12-4) up 1-0 in the third minute of the game. Frankie Beauchamp assisted on the score, that Knibbs sent in from 20 yards out to the right post.

It didn't take long for UNLV to tie the score, as the Rebels drew a penalty kick that senior Joaquin Rivas buried in the back of the net in the 18th minute. That made the score 1-1, and that would be the final goal of the first half as well, despite UNLV's 6-2 edge on shots in the opening stanza.

UNLV's shot advantage was even bigger in the second half, at 8-2. But again it was the Spartans that scored first in the stanza, as on an attack, UNLV was called for a foul inside the box, and the Spartans were awarded a penalty kick. Beauchamp took the attempt, and converted the PK to put SJSU ahead 2-1 in the 81st minute. With just minutes left in the Rebels' season, Irvin Somera came up with the biggest goal of the season, as Salvador Bernal sent in a cross from the right side that Somera sent home from eight yards out, tying the score at 2-2 in the 88th minute. That would send the game into overtime



In the two extra periods, UNLV held a 2-1 edge on shots in the first 10 minutes, while shots were 2-0 in favor of the Spartans in the second overtime. Neither team found the back of the net, sending the contest into overtime. It was the first penalty kick shootout for UNLV since the 2002 MPSF semifinals, which also was at the hands of SJSU, that time by a 5-4 score.

The Rebels went first in the shootout, and their second attempt was blocked, but Ryan Harding would make a save on the fourth attempt of the Spartans, leading to both teams finishing with four made PKs after the first five. Going to a sudden death round of PKs, both teams made their next three attempts, but on the 10th shot of the shootout, the Rebels' had their try saved. Ayala then converted his shot to end the contest for SJSU.

UNLV's final shot advantage was 16-7, and 8-4 on shots on goal. Corner kicks were 11-2 for the Rebels, as the Spartans did not attempt one until the game reached overtime. Harding finished with two saves in goal for the Rebels, while Emmanuel Espinoza notched six for the Spartans.

UNLV Mountain West NCAA Learfield Born and Raised Coke Zero Findlay Toyota Chevron MGM Resorts