Donate Tickets
Frequently Asked Questions for Student-Athletes

1. How do I apply for admission to UNLV?

  • You should visit and click on the category that relates to you, whether you are an undergraduate with no college work (freshman), a student with under 24 hours of college credit (freshman transfer), or transfer student (24 or more hours of credit completed). The links will walk you through the process.

2. I am a non-qualifier with the NCAA Clearinghouse. Can I still attend UNLV and eventually play on a varsity athletic team?

  • Non-qualifiers who first enroll in a Mountain West Conference institution as a freshman can never compete on an athletic team at any conference institution. There are two ways to qualify to play as a non-qualifier transfer student.
      i. You can attend a community college (2-year). You must be in residence at the school for 3 full-time semesters and earn at least 48 degree-applicable units. An average of 12 units per semester must be degree-applicable (meaning no P.E. or vocational courses). You must earn an Associates degree with at least a 2.0 Grade Point Average (GPA). UNLV requires a 2.5 minimum for transfer students.
      ii. You can attend a non-conference 4-year institution and be in residence for 4 full-time consecutive semesters, earning at least 48-semester/72-quarter degree applicable units, with at least a 2.0 GPA (UNLV requires a 2.5).

3. Who is required to attend study hall?

  • All students who have a GPA below a 3.0 will have some hours of study hall. A 3.0 is the minimum GPA to earn a conference academic award. All freshmen are required to complete 8 hours of study hall per week. Hours vary for new transfers and upperclassmen based on GPA and team rules.

4. How do I get a tutor?

  • Student-Athlete Academic Services (SAAS) provides free tutoring services for student-athletes. Students request a tutor by filling out a request form with their Athletic Academic Advisor. Once the form is turned in, SAAS will match a student up with a tutor during the student's availability. All tutoring takes place during evening study hall Sunday through Wednesday, between 6:00 and 9:00 PM.

5. When do I have to declare a major?

  • Students are required to declare a major prior to the beginning of the 5th full-time semester (3rd year) of enrollment. A student who starts college full-time as a freshman the fall semester after high school graduation will declare his or her major prior to beginning the junior year of college. Academic advising, major exploration fairs, and a major exploration course (UNS 100) are all available to assist students in making this decision.

6. What role does my Athletic Academic Advisor have with me?

  • The Athletic Academic Advisors are assigned to specific teams to provide services and assistance to members of those teams. Your advisor works with you from the recruiting process all the way through graduation and beyond. Advisors meet regularly with students to monitor course progress and also serve as support outside of the athletic department and your team. He or she is an advocate for your academic and future success. Athletic advisors assist you with scheduling around practice times while still keeping you on track to graduate and meet all of the NCAA eligibility rules. Advisors also have different roles in the office. You can seek assistance in resume and cover letter writing, graduate school applications, community service participation, and other services from advisors in SAAS, even if they do not work with your team.

7. What is the CHAMPS/Life Skills Program all about?

  • The CHAMPS program is a NCAA program run nationwide at universities and colleges in every division of athletics. At UNLV, the Life Skills program helps new students transition to college life from high school and adjust to all of the demands put on their shoulders.The Program offers speakers that orient students to resources on campus, discuss current issues affecting student-athletes, and prepare you for success in life. Topics include media training, resume writing, study skills, academic integrity, and gambling among others. The program also provides students with several community service opportunities throughout the year.

8. What is a grade check form?

  • A few times every semester, your advisor will provide you with grade check forms for each of your classes to be filled out by your professors. These forms determine where you stand in your classes at that particular time in the semester, and ask professors for grades and attendance information. The professor keeps the white copy, and you should turn in the forms to your Athletic Academic Advisor. He or she will then turn in the pink forms to your Head Coach.

Should you have other questions, please contact your advisor.

UNLV Mountain West NCAA Learfield Born and Raised Coke Zero Findlay Toyota Chevron MGM Resorts