Jan. 27, 2018
SAN JOSE, Calif. (UNLVRebels.com) -
Trailing by 18 in the first half, UNLV climbed back into the contest with a 23-0 run and ended the game on a 16-4 run on the way to a 75-64 victory on the road at San Diego State Saturday afternoon in Mountain West women's basketball action from Viejas Arena. The win, which was the third straight road victory for the Lady Rebels, kept UNLV in second place in the league standings at 6-2 (11-8 overall).
San Diego State was on fire at the start of the game, using a 14-0 spurt to grab a 16-3 edge at the 3:57 mark of the first quarter. UNLV would close within 21-13 at the start of the second quarter, until the Aztecs answered with 14-4 run over a four-minute span. Te'a Adams hit one of two at the line for a 35-17 advantage with 5:33 to play. UNLV then scored the next 23 points of the game for a 40-35 advantage at the 6:06 mark of the third quarter. The lead would change hands 10 times over the next 11 minutes with six ties.
SDSU took its last lead at the 5:53 mark, on a jumper by McKynzie Fort for a 60-59 lead. UNLV answered with six straight points for a 65-60 edge. Adams hit another basket for SDSU with 2:30 to play to make it a 65-62 lead, but Brooke Johnson answered with a trey for UNLV, and the Aztecs were held scoreless the rest of the way until a basket at the buzzer.
THE TURNING POINT: After the Aztecs took their 18-point lead, the Lady Rebels stepped it up on defense, holding SDSU without a point for the next 10 minutes of the game. UNLV forced the Aztecs into 12 straight missed shots and six turnovers during that span, while the Lady Rebels reeled off 23 straight themselves to completely turn the game around.
LADY REBEL OF THE GAME: Junior center Katie Powell posted her second straight double-double, and 10th of the year, thanks to 21 points and a career-high 16 rebounds.
STAT OF THE GAME: UNLV held a 45-36 edge on the boards, and a 15-3 advantage on second-chance points.
"We were very determined, we showed a lot of grit on the road. And our defensive ignited our offense today. We were also patient with the ball on offense, especially in the second half, we got good looks and were able to knock them down. Katie dominated the boards, while our bench played great as well. We counted on several people today, and Brooke Johnson played how you want a senior captain to play."
- UNLV head coach Kathy Olivier
LADY REBEL NOTES:
* UNLV has now won two of the last three years at Viejas Arena after having lost nine straight in the series on the road.
* The 18-point comeback in the second-largest of the season for the Lady Rebels, as they trailed by 21 in their season-opening victory over Portland State.
* UNLV is 3-0 this year when playing on the road in front of at least 4,000 fans, as Saturday's attendance was 4,568.
* Joining Powell in double-figures was Johnson with 23 points, while she was 9-of-10 at the line. Nikki Wheatley finished with 12 points and five assists.
* UNLV won despite the Aztecs hitting 10 three-pointers (out of 25 attempts) in the game.
* UNLV's 49 second-half points is a season-high. The Lady Rebels outscored SDSU 49-29 in the second half.
NEXT FOR THE LADY REBELS: The Lady Rebels play a second straight game in the state of California, as they look for a season sweep of San Jose State when they meet the Spartans in Wednesday, Jan. 31 at 7 pm in San Jose, California.