Jan. 31, 2018
SAN JOSE, California (UNLVRebels.com) -
@UNLVLadyRebels | UNLV Box Score
For the second straight game, UNLV posted a 23-0 run and dominated San Jose State in the paint on the way to a record fourth straight Mountain West road victory, 80-53 on Wednesday night in women's basketball action from The Event Center. With the victory, their seventh in the last eight games, the Lady Rebels moved into a tie for first place in the MW at 7-2, thanks to Wyoming's home loss to Colorado State.
UNLV (12-8 overall) never trailed in the game, and scored the first 10 points of the contest. The Lady Rebels ended the first quarter with a 23-10 edge, but the Spartans rallied in the second quarter. SJSU would hold UNLV to just 10 points, and cut seven points off the edge to go into halftime down 33-27. The teams then traded three-pointers to open the third quarter, before a layup brought SJSU within 36-32 with 9:11 on the clock.
THE TURNING POINT: Following Ladd's basket, the Spartans were held scoreless for the next 5:40 of the contest. SJSU missed 10 straight shots during that span while turning the ball over six times. UNLV meanwhile would knock down 10-of-15 shots on the way to 23 unanswered points and a 59-32 advantage.
LADY REBEL OF THE GAME: Junior center Katie Powell, who outscored the Spartans by herself in the first quarter (12-10), posted a career-high 28 points on 11-of-18 shooting. She added eight rebounds as well in the victory.
STAT OF THE GAME: UNLV held a 50-18 edge on points in the paint.
"Tonight was fun, we got after it on the defensive end and that fed our offense. Our players have been pushing themselves to be better each game, and when they do that it's been pushing their teammates to do the same, and we're seeing the results on the court. Brooke (Johnson) had an outstanding overall game tonight, while they couldn't handle Katie in the post tonight. Paris (Strawther) also had an outstanding game for us, especially in the second half."
- UNLV head coach Kathy Olivier
LADY REBEL NOTES:
* Joining Powell in double-figures was Strawther with 16 points and nine rebounds. Nikki Wheatley added 13 points and seven rebounds, and Johnson posted 13 points and seven assists.
* UNLV scored a season-high 30 points in the third quarter, and finished with a 30-11 edge over SJSU.
* UNLV is 7-2 in the Mountain West for just the second time in program history, and first since 2003-04.
* The Lady Rebels have won four straight conference road games for the first time in MW history, and the first time in any conference since a five-game win streak in the Big West in 1993-94.
NEXT FOR THE LADY REBELS: The Lady Rebels return home to host Boise State on Saturday at 3 pm in the Thomas & Mack Center. It will be National Girls & Women In Sports Day at UNLV, with a free all-sports clinic being held before the game, while several special honorees will be honored during halftime of the contest. The first 100 fans will also receive a free Like A Lady Rebel T-Shirt.