Feb. 24, 2018
LAS VEGAS (UNLVRebels.com) -
@UNLVLadyRebels | UNLV Box Score
UNLV rallied from an 11-point first quarter deficit, and blew the game open by scoring 16 of the first 18 points of the third quarter on the way to a 74-62 victory over New Mexico in Mountain West women's basketball action from the Cox Pavilion on Saturday afternoon. The win kept the Lady Rebels in first place in the Mountain West at 13-3, tied with Wyoming, and improved them to 18-9 overall. New Mexico dropped to 20-9, 8-8 in league play.
New Mexico got off to a hot start, hitting its first five shots from the floor, including back-to-back three-pointers to start the contest, for an early 12-4 edge. The lead grew as high as 17-6 at the 4:58 mark of the first quarter. The Lady Rebels climbed back into the game with a 9-1 spurt to make it an 18-15 contest after the end of the first quarter. UNLV then used an 11-0 run over a three-minute stretch, grabbing a 28-20 advantage midway through the second quarter. The lead grew to 10 before the Lobos scored seven of the final nine points to make it a 36-31 halftime score.
THE TURNING POINT: Coming out of the halftime break, UNLV forced the Lobos into seven turnovers and just 1-of-4 shooting from the field in the first five minutes. UNLV took advantage of the UNM scoring drought by reeling off a 16-2 run, turning a five-point edge into a 53-35 advantage.
LADY REBEL OF THE GAME: Junior center Katie Powell finished 8-of-12 from the floor for 20 points, and added eight rebounds and three steals.
STAT OF THE GAME: Despite having only three fewer turnovers (16), UNLV made the most of the Lobos' miscues, outscoring UNM 30-10 on points off turnovers.
"We did go on a little lull at the end, but I felt overall we played really smart basketball. They came out guns blazing, making every shot, but we hunkered down on defense, chipped away, closed within one after the first. That was a great effort, and we never looked back after we took the lead in the second."
- UNLV head coach Kathy Olivier
LADY REBEL NOTES:
* UNLV led by as much as 25 in the fourth quarter, until New Mexico used a late 14-0 run to close within 68-57 with four minutes to play, though the lead remained in double-figures.
* UNLV set a new school record for most Mountain West conference victories with its 13th, topping last year's record 12-6 mark, with two games left to go.
* UNLV swept the season series with the Lobos for the second straight year, and have won five straight in the series.
* Joining Powell in double-figures was Brooke Johnson with 17, Jordyn Bell with 13 and Nikki Wheatley with 12.
* UNLV shot 76% (19-of-25) at the free throw line while UNM made just 9-of-18 (50%).
NEXT FOR THE LADY REBELS: UNLV plays its final road game of the regular season, as it takes on in-state rival UNR on Tuesday, Feb. 27 at 6:30 pm in Reno. This will be the second game of the season between the two in the Governor's Series, the all-sports competition between the two schools sponsored by Barrick Gold and NV Energy. UNLV won the first meeting, 77-75 in Las Vegas on Feb. 7.