Carney, Rebels Earn Another Utah Tie
Katie Carney posted her second two-goal game of the season to help UNLV tie Utah on Thursday afternoon.
Katie Carney posted her second two-goal game of the season to help UNLV tie Utah on Thursday afternoon.

Oct. 11, 2007

Box Score Highlights

LAS VEGAS - Katie Carney scored once in each half to help the UNLV women's soccer team earn a 2-2 tie with Utah in the Mountain West Conference opener for both team on Thursday afternoon from Peter Johann Memorial Field. It was the second straight time the teams played to a double-overtime draw, as UNLV (5-3-5, 0-0-1) tied Utah (8-2-3, 0-0-1) 0-0 in the championship game of the 2006 MWC Tournament, but won the tournament title in a penalty kick shootout.

Utah's Adele Letro, the nation's second-leading scorer, moved her season-goal total to 14 when she scored the first goal of the day midway through the first half. With the Utes on a counter attack, Katy Reineke passed off to Letro, who quickly eluded one defender and then unleased a shot to the far right post past Rebel goalkeeper Alicia Lugo, for a 1-0 lead at 22:02.

Just 30 seconds later the Rebels would tie the game, when Carney received a pass deep on the left baseline just a few yards away from the goal, and crossed a shot to the right corner of the goal for the score at 22:32. Jessica Destito and Brianna Moore were credited with assists on the play.

Utah regained the lead six minutes later, as in the 29th minute the Rebels were called for a foul just outside the box. Awarded a free kick, Reineke blasted a shot to the top right that was over the reach of Lugo for a 2-1 Ute advantage. Utah would take the 2-1 lead into halftime, and held a 5-1 edge on shots over the opening 45 minutes.

UNLV stepped up its offense in the second half, as both teams had four shots each, and the Rebels would connect on one of theirs in the 62nd minute to tie the game once more. Utah goalkeeper Lynzee Lee deflected the ball from Kristen Shim on a Rebel attack, but Carney was there to pick up the rebound, and she quickly placed the ball back into the net for the 2-2 tie. The goal also marked her second two-goal game of the season.

The game would go into overtime, and while both teams had several good looks, they couldn't connect on any of them, to give both the tie in the conference standings. Both goalies finished with four saves and two goals allowed, while Utah held a 13-11 edge on shots.

The Rebels remain in conference play for their next game when they host San Diego State on Sunday, Oct. 14 at 1 pm at Johann Memorial Field.



Online Store