Rebels Close Out Season With Governor's Series Victory|
Oct. 27, 2017
@unlvwsoccer | 2017 Schedule | Season Statistics
LAS VEGAS (UNLVRebels.com) - UNLV women's soccer wrapped up the 2017 campaign on a high note, beating rivals Nevada, Reno 5-0 Friday night at Peter Johann Memorial Field on Senior Night. The Rebels snapped a four-game losing skid to finish the season with an overall record of 13-8 and 5-6 in Mountain West play.
Friday night marked the end of the Rebel careers for five seniors - Chidera Akubuilo, Sophie Cortes, Jordan Sallee, Courtney Anderson and Michaela Kelsey. The group was honored during a pregame ceremony and will leave UNLV as the winningest group of seniors in program history, collecting 49 wins over the last four seasons.
Cortes closed out her career year with a pair of goals against the Wolf Pack, scoring goals in the sixth and 19th to help the Rebels capture the three Governor's Series points women's soccer. Senior defender Chidera Akubuilo also got in on the scoring, netting UNLV's fourth goal of the game in the 78th minute to give her eight during her Rebel career.
THE TURNING POINT: Cortes put the game away early, scoring her goals in the sixth and 19th minutes to give UNLV a lead it never relinquished. The Scarlet and Gray added goals in 27th, 78th and 89th minutes to provide the final margin.
REBEL OF THE GAME: Cortes wrapped up her career in style, scoring two goals in the first 20 minutes, to lead the Rebels to victory. She finishes 2017 with 12 goals, eight assists and 32 points, which rank tied for third, tied for third and second, respectively, in a single-season. Her 49 career points rank eighth all-time and her 16 career goals rank tied for seventh all-time, while her 17 assists are fifth-most by any Rebel in program history.
STAT OF THE GAME: Junior Amanda Galbraith captured a hat trick of assists, giving her 10 on the year to finish with the most on the team.
* UNLV finished 4-6 on the road in 2017, with five of the six losses coming in conference play, and 9-1 at home.
* The Rebels snapped a four-game losing streak with the win over Reno, its longest losing skid since 2006.
* The Rebels are mathematically eliminated from the 2017 Mountain West Conference Tournament so Friday marked the official end of the season.
* UNLV finished its non-conference slate with an 8-1 record, a program-best through the first nine games, and an .889 winning percentage - also a program-best.
* Rebels scored 41 goals on 35 assists this year.